Tuesday 21 May 2013

Crochet Cake, and Cake Crochet



Oh boy I really am on blogging catch up about now! 

This cake was made last June :s 11 months ago whoops!  I forgot to take a camera up to coffee to photograph this one, doh!  Luckily I had a friend on hand to save me from this lapse in sense.  … the second lapse in sense was how long it still took for me to do anything further with the picture… doh. 

Anyway, to the cake!

My lovely friend Esther has gotten myself and a large group of our colleagues and friends seriously in to crochet (see my other blog here for my crochet and crafty shenanigans).  Shortly after which it was her birthday, and so I combined the new found crochet skill, with the baking fun to create this little beauty.

Yes this is the crochet cupcake, from my previous post “A Different Kind of Cupcake” (you can find a link to the pattern on this previous post if you feel the urge to try it out yourself).  I crocheted the cupcake and stuffed it, then attached a little extra wool, to run from the top of the cupcake via a cake crochet hook, right up to the cake ball of wool.

The "ball of wool" was made using a mixture of chocolate sour cream cake, crumbled, and added to white chocolate fudge icing.  Insanely decadent.  Seriously tasty.  I used two well-rounded bowls as moulds to create two sphere halves with this cake mixture (a bit like a GIANT cake pop).

This was then coated with white chocolate fudge icing, the top was rounded off as best possible, and then the whole thing was coated in lots and lots of thin strips of pinky-red coloured fondant to make the “wool” type effect.  Hooray for yarn cake!

The crochet hook was cut from the chocolate sour cream cake also, and coated with white chocolate fudge icing, followed by a layer of grey fondant.

Then I placed the whole lot on my cute cupcake chopping board, because it just fit the theme so well! 

No comments:

Post a Comment