Monday 20 May 2013

Artsy Fartsy (Artist's Palette Cake)

Sort of a nice physical metaphor this, arty bits made out of arty things, in an artistic(ish) way.

One of my closest friends is currently studying an illustration course, which she is incredibly good at!  Thus, I thought for her birthday I would go for something nice and artisty….. et voila a cake made to look like an artist’s palette.



I looked around for inspiration before I started this, and although I found a few artists palettes, I could only find those which were cake paint, on wooden real palettes. 

Pffffft to that I say!

If you going to do it, then go the whole hog…. I made my palette our of a large chocolate sponge baked in a large rectangular baking tray, then trimmed this down to the correct shape and size, and added a little whole for the bit where you put your finger through (very technical term, I know).

I coated the palette with chocolate fudge icing, nom.
I made chocolate cupcakes, removed them from their wrappers, and coated the underneath with various colours of an icing sugar, water and colouring mix.  These were placed upside down on baking paper, to dry for about an hour.

I then topped the cupcakes with similarly garish coloured white chocolate fudge icing, and arranged them on the palette.

The brush was a cheat I’m afraid, I realised what it was missing whilst my friend was ascending the stairs in my flat building so I did a quick stick it down job with a real brush :s needs must!

And thus you have a pretty quick (this is definitely a relative term!! i.e. quick by comparison to say making the golden gate bridge out of small pieces of cake and icing to be a precise model... not so quick if you compare to a normal Victoria sponge with the one type of icing, or such) artsy birthday cake. 


No comments:

Post a Comment